Monday, December 26, 2011

Vegucated

Loving 2011 Day 9: What inspired you this year?

I like to think that I am inspired by something everyday. For the sake of this post I will narrow it down.

During my yoga teacher training in 2009 I learned a lot about the implications of what we put into our bodies for fuel. I decided to slowly eliminate flesh from my diet. I chose this for many reasons but the biggie was that I could no longer ignore the atrocities of our agricultural industry while calling myself an animal lover. By late summer of 2010 I had completely cut out meat. This year my decision to do so was re-confirmed. I don't love the idea of referring to myself as vegetarian, but often for simplicity's sake, I do. For one, I think it can turn people off or cause my meat eating friends feel judged. For two, I think it is important to listen to your body, and every once in a while I will get a hankering for some sort of non-vegetarian food item and allow myself to indulge. I would estimate this happens once every few months and half the time I end up talking myself out of it after recalling some piece of information that convinced me vegetarianism was more in line with my values to begin with. More and more often I am learning things that confirm that being a vegetarian at this point in my life is what is right for me. This year I was particularly inspired by the work of Melanie Joy PhD, author of Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows.




Another inspiring ray of sunshine regarding this has been Kris Carr. Kris is so relatable and her energy is magnetic. I have found her book Crazy, Sexy, Diet to be a wonderful resource on living a holistic lifestyle. Her website (particularly the blog) is an equally valuable resource and has awesome guest contributors such as SARK, John Robbins, Danielle LaPorte, Sharon Salzberg, Elena Brower, and tons more.


There have also been some award winning documentaries focused on the food industry which have come out over the past few years which I really feel everyone should see, notably Food Inc. and Forks Over Knives.  The thing is, this issue isn't just about food, but involves so much including supporting community (small local farmers as opposed to mega-corporations), our health care system (including big Pharma), the environment, and animal welfare to name a few. There is a food revolution going down in America and I hope to help fuel it's fire even if it is only by the personal food choices I make each day.

P.S. I hope this doesn't sound too self-righteous because I don't mean it to : )

No comments:

Post a Comment